This course provides an environment in which directors can find their individual style and their own distinctive voice. This is the FIOFA’s premier MA course in directing.
Students have to experience the work of film and TV directors, receive and develop the tools of the profession and collaborate with the whole film crew, composed by students of other departments. Apart from their own projects they will gain experience as assistants and first assistant director on the graduation projects of their colleagues.
The Directing department is led by Ivo Trajkov (The Great Water, Movie, Berlin Project, Honey Night…). Other tutors include Asen Shopov, Elishka Luhanova, Erik Rosenzweig, Georgy Bagdasarov, Jan Bernard, Marta Lamperova, Martin Dolensky, Martin Padivy, Pavel Marek, Tomash Dorushka, Tomash Petran, Tomash Samek, Tomash Hermann and Vojtech Hladky.
The first year of the course develops the basic principles of film language, the craft of directing for film and television, and the collaborative nature of production via exercises with other departments; the exercises are based on scripts, written by students of screenwriting in the previews year classes and prepared for production by the students of creative production. The exercises are designed to allow students to experience the directing of action, narrative form and dialogue scene.
The second year is a project-based course focusing on short film assignments, on location drama. To experience the work for TV and the studio multi camera work students will collaborate with theaters in Macedonia. The course is full time and requires a high level of dedication; a prolific output, and the ability to meet professional–style deadlines.
Third year is dedicated to the creation of the short film. Graduation is also based on completion of a tutored dissertation. Unlike other schools, all production costs are met by the School. In addition you will be given a cash Production Budget. FIOFA students are engaged in more productions as part of the curriculum than any of our competitors.
Students come from a wide range of backgrounds: you may be an independent filmmaker, you might have a first degree or you may have experience of working in the Industry. Your application must include a short feature or documentary – or an extract of a longer work – that you have directed recently and an audiovisual self-portrait.
- An audiovisual self-portrait (two minutes maximum, 3 GB of size via Youtube / WeTransfer).
- Structured CV with photo
- Written analysis of one important movie. Why this movie is judged as important, analysis of form, narration, structure, dramaturgical analysis. Apart from common general analysis the applicant is called to analyse the film from the perspective of his field of professional interest (work with actors, editing, soundtrack, and photography)
- List of 10 films and 10 books, judged by the applicant as important
- Letter of motivation
- One letter of recommendation from a current or previous teacher outlining the applicant’s abilities and study motivations
- Bachelor’s diploma (certified copy) or confirmation, that the bachelor´s study will end before the beginning of FIOFA master studies
- Any own auteur’s piece of work (short movie, collection of still photographs, literary art piece, short story screenplay, poetry, painting), which will represent the applicant as creative personality. This piece of art doesn’t replace the obligation to submit the film or collection of photographs or other item required by the department.
DIRECTING DEPARTMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Synopsis for short fiction film (one page synopsis)
- Treatment for feature, short or documentary film. Description of the topic, main characters and story.
- A storyboard (exactly 17 still photographs). Applicant demonstrates his skills to tell the short story by pictures. Each photograph represents one shot from the silent movie. The numbers on backside of the photographs indicates the order of shots. If the content of one shot changes distinctively during the shot (by the camera movement, action of actors), then will be represented by two photographs of significant moments, numbered as A,B (example: 3A, 3B). Photographs must be taken by the applicant himself.
- A short feature or documentary (up to 10 minutes of duration, up to 10 GB of size via Youtube / WeTransfer).
Applicant is the director of the movie regardless his involvement in other professions.